top of page

How to Apply / Qualify

The California Jazz Foundation is here to help. If you are a California jazz musician in need of assistance, and meet the criteria listed below, please contact our social worker at 818-400-3263 or email

To request a Financial Assistance Application or an Emergency Medical Referral, applicant must meet the following requirements:

  • Show at least 5 years of primary employment as a jazz artist

  • California residency

  • Evidence of actual need

Applicant must include the following when submitting the application:

  • Copies of bills for which assistance is being requested

  • A resume or discography

  • Complete copies of your three most recent bank statements and investment account statements

  • Current income verification of all household members, from all sources

Once the application is received by CJF, applicant will be contacted by our social worker. Except in an emergency or crisis, please allow one to two weeks for processing.

When financial assistance is provided by CJF, it is charitable in nature and, therefore, before seeking such assistance, an applicant is encouraged to investigate all other possible sources of public aid. All approved assistance is paid directly to a creditor/third party. At its sole discretion, CJF reserves the right to deny or approve financial assistance.

The California Jazz Foundation has an extensive referral network of medical professionals who provide assistance pro bono or on a sliding fee scale. These practitioners are available to assist qualified applicants in the following areas:

Request a Medical Referral

  • Acupuncture

  • Audiology

  • Cardiology

  • Chiropractic

  • Dental

  • Dermatology

  • Imaging

  • Internal Medicine

  • Laboratories

  • Neurology

  • Nursing

  • Ophthalmology

For an Application

  • Optometry

  • Orthopedics

  • Podiatry

  • Psychology

  • Urology

  • Wellness Counseling

If you are a California jazz musician in need of a medical referral, and meet the criteria listed above, please contact our social worker.

bottom of page